A Prince Albert family is searching for answers after they lost their son in a horrific incident early Saturday morning.
A car was found engulfed in flames in the West Flat at about 1 a.m. When the fire was put out, human remains were discovered.
The boy's mother, Fanny Ballantyne, confirms the remains are those of her 13-year-old son, Wayne Ballantyne.
She said the last few days have been very emotional for her as she waits for answers, she only knows what she has heard from people in the community.
Human remains are confirmed to be found in a burned vehicle over the weekend.
Prince Albert Police are reporting at about 1 a.m. on Saturday, a patrol unit saw a car fully engulfed in flames.
It was in a driveway in the 900 block of River Street West.
According to police, it was while they were trying to evacuate the residence for safety that officers noticed what looked like human remains in the car.
Prince Albert Fire Department was called and extinguished the fire. It was later verified that they were human remains.
A reserve near Melfort has moved 50 people from its community due to health and safety concerns resulting from flooding.
James Smith Cree Nation was forced to move residents Monday after major issues with roads in the community were escalated from heavy rain.
“Over the weekend with all the rain we got plus the weekend before that, we had these roads that were flooded over,” said Mike Marion, health director with the band.
Arthur Dagenais, the father of convicted cop killer Curtis Dagenais, has been found not guilty of mischief.
The verdict came down before 10 a.m. Monday at Prince Albert Provincial Court.
The charge stems from an incident back on Aug. 30 when the elderly Dagenais was arrested at the Saskatchewan Penitentiary.
The Crown alleged he refused to leave prison property even though he was asked repeatedly.
Dagenais is also facing a charge of unsafe storage of a firearm from a Sept. 4 search of his farm.
Prince Albert Police are investigating a car crash involving seven kids this weekend.
Seven kids were taken to hospital but fortunately none of the injuries are life-threatening. According to Parkland Ambulance, everyone who was in the vehicle at the time is between ages of 11 and 12.
The crash happened around 12:30 a.m. at Third Avenue and 22nd Street East.
The Prince Albert Provincial Correctional Centre could see a 72 cell expansion in the near future.
In May of this year an application for an expansion at the Prince Albert Provincial Correctional Centre was submitted to Prince Albert’s Department of Planning and Development Services.
The application would see a new living unit built onto the existing correctional centre on the property located at 3021 – First Avenue West.
The Prince Albert Fire Department was called out just after 11 a.m., to what they thought was an apartment fire.
The apartment building is in the 400 block of Ninth Street West.
Parkland Ambulance paramedics treated five people with minor smoke inhalation at the scene and brought them to Victoria Hospital for treatment. Among the people were three boys, aged two, three and seven.
A neighbour reported seeing smoke coming from underneath a door. The fire department cleared the incident shortly after they attended the scene.
One of two men charged in connection to a death on the Muskoday First Nation two years ago, has been sentenced.
22-year-old Cody Travis Walker was sentenced to 10 years in prison for his role in the death of 36-year-old Ricky Lee Bear back in August of 2011.
Walker was given credit for time already served, so the sentence is closer to 8 more years behind bars.
Walker was originally charged with second degree murder, but pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
Workers at the Carrot River sawmill are fed up with their union. A letter of decertification is now before the Saskatchewan labour board, which essentially requests that the union be given the boot.
The sawmill was reopened last year, after a five-year hiatus. The mill formerly owned by Weyerhaeuser, was purchased by EdgeWood Forest Products.
The United Steelworkers Union argued successfully before the Labour Board that they still had a claim to the mill.
Bo Buyacki is among the workers leading the charge against the union.
The Rural Municipality of Prince Albert is no longer under a state of emergency, but remains a disaster area following flooding last month that damaged roads and washed out farmland.
“We’ve had a significant amount of damage both from spring run off as well as from the swelling of the creek systems,” said Reeve Norma Sheldon. “We still have some downstream flooding potential, but that potential is more related to land than it is homes.”